The global meeting place for people interested in all things related to SWEETPOTATO

Share your research and experience, ask and answer questions, meet your peers.

Home / Knowledge Management, Communications and Learning CoP

Knowledge Management, Communications and Learning CoP

Brainstorming our mission, expectations and mode of governance

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Benjamin Rakotoarisoa Benjamin Rakotoarisoa 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Dear all,

Over the last year, the number of people involved in knowledge management, communications, advocacy and capacity development has steadily increased within CIP, and I am sure among partner organizations as well.   A number of us thought that it was time to develop a platform that would enable us share ideas, tools, experiences and lessons specifically related to repackaging and communicating our projects’ and organizations’ research results and innovations. We also felt that such a   platform would increase opportunities for younger professionals to learn and grow from the more seasoned ones.

Most of what we do is cross-cutting, and our contribution feeds into all the other CoPs. So one may wonder, what would be different about this CoP? A key reason is that it provides an opportunity for an in-depth exploration of the art and science of KM, communications, advocacy and capacity development. The focus is on how our profession can help to increase the impact of that research and development.

We assessed demand for this CoP by contacting people individually, and we are happy that many expressed their interest to participate.

In our first ever discussion, we would like to brainstorm a little about our individual expectations of the CoP. This will form our mission statement, objectives, and set us on course for our future engagement. Kindly answer the following questions

1. What would you expect to gain from this CoP (for you individually and for your project/organization)?
    2. Please propose two discussion topics?
    3. Share your ideas about how the CoP should be governed?
    4. If you were to propose an image for our logo, what would it be?

This topic will colse on 24 May 2017 and will be moderated by Christine Bukania.

Profile photo of Lilies Gachanja
    Lilies Gachanja
    Participant

Thank you for this amazing opportunity to learn from, interact and share with the knowledge management, communications, advocacy and capacity development people at CIP. Fabulous initiative!

From the list of questions provided I would say:
    1. I would like this to be an interactive platform where we can ask questions pertaining to communication, and share ideas on how we – as a unit – can improve the organization’s communication front and ourselves as communication people.
    2. Discussion topics: How to improve CIP-SSA communication, and, platforms for sharing communication material created, on and beyond the knowledge portal and CIP website for greater message outreach.
    4. Suggested logo: A pen and camera (or microphone)

I look forward to learning!

Profile photo of Aime Emmanuel Ndayisenga
      Aime Ndayisenga
      Keymaster

Hello good folks! Many thanks to Christine for the initiative of bringing together all the Communications practitioners from across all CIP projects and departments!!!

This is what I think on your suggested initial questions:

1.What would you expect to gain from this CoP (for you individually and for your project/organization)?
      >>>To me, this CoP is like a classroom where students are given the same homework, but have to provide individual responses to be shared collectively!!! I expect to learn from experiences, successes and challenges of different peer participants.

2.Please propose two discussion topics?
      >>>How to translate the scientific jargon into the everyday language of our lay audience?
      >>>Our work as communicators appears as the window, through which the world should see CIP’s work. How do we join our talents and social media hobbies to wave the CIP flag globally?

3.Share your ideas about how the CoP should be governed?
      >>> I propose that Christine, takes the leadership of the CoP and works with individual participants to propose a monthly topic for discussion.

4.If you were to propose an image for our logo, what would it be?
      >>> A farmer with a hoe and some comms tools like a microphone, pen, camera and so forth!

Profile photo of Luka Wanjohi
    Luka Wanjohi
    Keymaster

Thanks you Christine spearheading this initiative. Here are my thoughts:

What would you expect to gain from this CoP (for you individually and for your project/organization)?
    I am looking forward to forging closer networks with my peers. Hopefully we can grow this CoP to at least be at par with technical CoPs. This forum should promote better harmonization of approaches towards knowledge management and dissemination across the different initiatives (projects/CRPs)

Please propose two discussion topics?
    Harnessing the power of new media in the management and dissemination of knowledge for agricultural research.

Share your ideas about how the CoP should be governed?
    I would suggest that we experiment having a 3 month rotational leadership structure. The CoP leader will be in charge of coordinating online discussions for the period they are in office.

If you were to propose an image for our logo, what would it be?
    A word-cloud

Profile photo of Sarah Mayanja
    Sarah Mayanja

Hi Christine and thanks for inviting us to join this CoP.
    1) Expecations from this CoP:
    To share and learn new ‘savvy’ ways of sharing scientific information in such a way to increase readership and utilization. Short, crisp and innovative ways of packaging info
    2)One discussion topic:
    The mighty pen: writing in the science for non scientists
    3)Leadership:
    I propose an annual leadership committee with clear ToR and a ‘reward’ system (e.g. earning bonus points) for achievers
    4)Logo: a mystery box that opens up when clicked

Profile photo of Joyce Maru
    Joyce Maru
    Participant

Hi Christine;
    really good initiative and opportunity to share and learn together.
    What would you expect to gain from this CoP (for you individually and for your project/organization)?
    share with others and learn from others. Innovate together

2.Please propose two discussion topics?
    What do we mean by all the terminologies that are used interchangeably ………..capacity development, learning, knowledge management, communication etc.
    how well are we doing it or not doing it

3.Share your ideas about how the CoP should be governed?
    We need a dedicated facilitator to motivate members and initiate discussions. Can be rotational by members?

4.If you were to propose an image for our logo, what would it be?
    an imagine that will clearly demonstrate the place of cross-cutting themes e.g. capacity development, knowledge management, etc underpins impact in research. A bridge between research and impact

Hi all,

Thank you for your contributions, which clearly indicate that we all share the common need to share and learn from one another. I think the discussion topics that you have suggested so far would be very good for us to plan our activities going forward and to collectively build our knowledge base. I also notice that most of us would opt for a rotational type of leadership. I love the idea of rewarding the good leaders.

I find the logo ideas very imaginative. I find that two streams are appearing; the first (from Lilies and Aime) is where we depice our tools for communicating, and the second (from Luka, Sarah and Joyce) is showing the holistic and interconnected nature of the different aspects of our work. Would it be a good idea to combine these ideas and see what comes out of it?

Profile photo of Hilda Munyua
    Hilda Munyua
    Participant

Hi Christine,

Thank you for initiating this CoP – which is long overdue.

1. Expectations: Unite the KM – Comms – Advocacy – Capacity development – Learning teams to share knowledge, experiences, challenges and success, and provide a united voice.

2. Please propose two discussion topics? i) These could focus on areas members consider to be gaps in enabling them to better communicate; ii) Harnessing and packaging new content.

4. A logo for this group could include the brain, waves – (communication) – people (the different target groups we are trying to reach with our research findings / advocacy messages)

Profile photo of Vivian Atakos
    Vivian Atakos
    Participant

Hi all,

Last but not least.

Expectations:

Discussion topics:

– Avenue for us to share what we are working on or at least what is coming up in terms of the various projects we are supporting. This way, we can support each other as necessary.

Please propose two discussion topics?

– Improving knowledge sharing. How about we evaluate current practice and see how to improve?

– MLE of our communications activities at CIP. How to track impact. How do we know if our message is reaching the target audience. Going beyond the numbers

Share your ideas about how the CoP should be governed?

– Frequent meet ups should be something we ought to have. This can be online or physical. We can have a leader/ convenor

If you were to propose an image for our logo, what would it be?

– Potato and sweetpotato should feature somehow. or is this for those working on sweetpotato only?

Dear members,

Thank you for participating in our first ever discussion. I have synthesized it as follows:

Our expectations

• To unite the knowledge management, communications, advocacy, capacity development and learning teams into an innovative professional community of practice
    • To promote better harmonization of approaches towards knowledge management and dissemination across the different initiatives (projects/CRPs)
    • To share and learn from our collective knowledge, experiences, challenges and successes to develop new ways of sharing scientific information in such a way to increase readership and utilization
    • To share information about ongoing initiatives to provide opportunities for technical support by other members of the community of practice

The following discussions have been proposed:

1. Understanding the main terminologies associated with our field: Capacity development, learning, knowledge management, communication etc.
    2. Which areas do you consider gaps in enabling you to better communicate?
    3. How well are we facilitating the sharing of science? How can we effectively harness and package new content for greater impact? How do we effectively translate and share scientific information in a way that increases readership and utilization by a lay audience?
    4. The mighty pen: writing in the science for non-scientists
    5. Harnessing the power of new media in the management and dissemination of knowledge for agricultural research
    6. Evaluating knowledge sharing: How do we evaluate current practice to track impact and to identify areas of improvement?

Mode of governance

Majority have suggested a rotational type of leadership, with one member specifying that we do a three-month period for each leader. As we are now mostly working online, the leader will be in charge of coordinating online discussions and mobilizing other members to participate.
    Over the medium term, we shall also plan to start frequent meet-ups as suggested by some of you. I believe that once we become active online, we could be able to mobilize some support to hold an initial meeting.

Logo

In summary, the suggestions for the logos combine tools for communicating with the holistic and interconnected nature of the different aspects of our work. These ideas include: an image that clearly demonstrates the place of cross-cutting themes, showing a bridge between research and impact; tools of communication (microphone, pen, camera etc); farmer with a hoe; word cloud; mystery box; brain waves (communication); people (different target groups).

Next steps:

Hilda has volunteered to lead us in the first discussion, being one of the most experienced among us in this field, I think this is very kind of her. She will help to ground us more in our basic understanding of concepts. After this, we will request for the next volunteer until all of us get a chance to lead.

We shall liaise with the graphic designer to try and consolidate the proposed logo ideas into one image.

A question was raised as to the scope of the CoP. For definition sake, how about if we state that it is hosted within the umbrella of the SPHI (including projects that work on multiple crops). However, it is open for participation to anyone interested in using research findings to make an impact.

Hi Christine,

This is beyond the deadline but let me share my opinion if it is still useful.

Human resources are the capital of an Organization and the success or failure depend on behavior of each individual and the level of responsibility mindset. My expectation is to know the dynamic of each country and to learn from the most dynamic and successful team and could be adopted by the other.

As the communication makes a project or institution success, where are our level of communication at each country? How we communicate between us? What we could support between us? How could we explore the other individual talents to be used within the organization?

Thanks and regards,
    Benjamin

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.