12th Triennial African Potato Association Conference Lilongwe, Malawi
June 27, 2022 - July 1, 2022
LILONGWE, Malawi: The Africa Potato Association (APA) will hold its 12th Triennial Conference from 27th June to 1st July 2022 in Lilongwe, Malawi.
The conference will be held under the theme of ‘Harnessing potato and sweetpotato innovations for resilient and healthier agri-food systems’.
APA is a non-profit organization that was launched in September 1985 with the following objectives:
- To promote the interests of potato and sweetpotato workers in Africa.
- To act as a central source of information and resource exchange.
- To facilitate greater inter-country collaboration and horizontal exchange of information and exchange visits by scientists.
- To stimulate the development of potato and sweetpotato research, production, and utilization in Africa.
- To popularize potato and sweetpotato as important food items in Africa.
- To act as a link between the International Potato Center (CIP) and other relevant associations in the world and members/member countries.
- To monitor training opportunities to its members
Dr Wilkson I.H. Makumba, who is President of the African Potato Association 2020-2022, said:
“The conference will provide an opportunity for scientists and other stakeholders throughout Africa and around the world to come together for networking, exchange information and ideas, and to initiate new collaborative studies on sweet potato and potato.”
Renowned scientists, up-and-coming researchers and other stakeholders are expected to attend this important meeting either virtually or in person.
The conference is being jointly organised by the Ministry of Agriculture & Food Security, the International Potato Center and other partners.
The proposed conference sub-themes are:
- Breeding and genetic innovations for increased resilience, production, and nutrition
- Innovative approaches for building sustainable seed systems
- Crop intensification and diversification in the context of resilient agri-food systems
- Robust pest and disease management under a changing climate
- Reduction of crop losses and increased profitability through improved management, value-addition, and marketing opportunities
- Building healthier, sustainable diets and influencing consumer behavior
- Policies and approaches for achieving impact at scale
Dr Wilkson Makumba, APA President | +265 884 586 724 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Obed Mwenye, APA secretary | +265 884 322 942 | email@example.com
Arnold Chachacha Munthali | +265 999 770 332 | firstname.lastname@example.org
20th August 2021 First announcement
1st September 2021 Second announcement, with monthly reminders
1st October 2021 Registration opens & Submission of abstracts
15th December 2021 Deadline of abstracts’ acceptance
27th June – 1st July 2022 12th Triennial Conference